Are you looking for the best electronic dartboard? If you’re unsure of what dartboard to buy, this is the best place to be. We’ve put together reviews of our favorite dartboards, as well as an extensive buying guide that will step you through everything you need to look for in an electronic dartboard. Let’s get started.
How To Choose An Electric Dart board
It can be a little overwhelming looking all around for the perfect electronic dartboard. There are a lot of dartboard features that you should know about before purchasing. This is why we’ve collected all of the information you would potentially need (or want) in one place.
What you need and what is best for you will depend on your preferences and circumstances, but we’ll look at all aspects of the darts experience to help you figure out which board would work best for you.
The Different Types of Dartboard
There are many different types of dartboards out there for you to choose from. Understanding what each of them are made of and the advantages and disadvantages of each one will help you know which kind of dartboard would be best for your situation.
Bristle dartboards are the most common type of dartboard available. You’ll find bristle dartboards not only in rec rooms, bars and home game rooms, but professionals use these boards as well for official competitions.
Bristle boards are named as such because they are made from thousands of little sisal fibers, which look like little bristles.
These boards are very common and used by professionals because they are effective at catching and holding onto darts that are thrown at them. Also, when the dart is removed, the gap that is left is immediately closed because the fibers are flexible and can contract and expand easily.
The second most popular type of dartboard is the electronic dartboard. Instead of the face of the board being made from sisal fibers, it is made from plastic. There are thousands of tiny holes or divots for the darts to hit and stick into, and these are connected to a circuit board that keeps track of where a dart lands. This is then electronically converted to a score.
There are a lot of advantages to using an electronic dartboard. They provide more accurate scoring and keep track of your score so you don’t have to, they are safer and more durable, making them optimal for family play, and they come with a wide variety of game options.
Other Types of Dartboard
Although bristle and electronic dartboards are by far the most popular types of dartboard, there are many other types as well.
Wooden dartboards used to be very popular, and therefore you might still see a few around. These can be durable and last a while, but they are harder and take more energy to clean and maintain, and are more expensive.
Cork dartboards are fairly popular as well, and good inexpensive options if you are just starting out or have young children that want to play.
There are two types of paper dartboards. There are sheets of paper with just the picture of the dartboard, and these you can hang up in almost any location. They are very cheap and only last for one or two games, but you can buy many at the same time.
There are also dartboards made out of tightly coiled paper. These are more expensive than cork dartboards, but last longer as well.
Finally, there are magnetic dartboards as well. These are very easy to set up and hang and therefore let you play wherever and whenever you want.
Why to Choose an Electronic Dartboard
Electronic Dartboards offer numerous advantages over the other kinds of dartboards. If you’re reading this article, that probably means you want
Easier and More Accurate Scoring
The biggest advantage that electronic dartboards have over others is its ability to keep score for you. This is important because you don’t necessarily have to know all of the exact dart rules and scoring rules in order to play! You can just step right up to the oche and start playing.
Because it uses electronic sensors to register where the dart lands on the board, it is also a more accurate system of scoring than using a bristle dartboard. The sensors tell you exactly where the dart lands, taking out any of the guesswork and keeping you and your family and friends from fighting over whether the dart landed in the correct section or not.
You also don’t need to input the score yourself, so any math errors are eliminated. You simply don’t have to worry about scoring at all!
Safety and Durability
Another big advantage the electronic dartboard holds over other kinds is that it is both safer and more durable than other boards. This is because it uses Soft tip darts exclusively. Soft tip darts are necessary for an electronic dartboard because the rigid plastic could get punctured with metal tips, exposing the electronics beneath.
Playing with soft tip darts means your family is safer from bounce outs and missed throws. These darts are less heavy and less sharp, so the risk of injury is significantly reduced.
Soft tips on the darts also means that the board itself, as well as the wall and other surfaces around the board, will stay undamaged. No more puncture holes in walls or sofas! Along with the hard plastic that electronic dartboards are made from, this increases the durability and life of the board. This means the board will last longer, and you can play more frequently and keep the same board for years.
Variety of Game Options
The third major advantage of electronic dartboards is that they come with many different darts games programmed in. Therefore, if you ever get bored of playing the regular game of darts, or want to try a different challenge, these boards will step you through the rules and guidelines for a variety of unique games to play.
Some of these boards have up to 50 games to choose from! This way, the fun never stops. There are games with differing skill levels as well, if you have small children or beginner players that want to play an easier game than regular darts.
Some more advantages include:
- Lighting and sound effects, to make each game more fun and interesting
- Scoreboard display so everyone know their score at all times
- Multiplayer and single-player modes
- Bluetooth and app compatibility
- Voice Prompts and hands-free options
Disadvantages of an Electronic Dartboard
Every different type of dartboard comes with its pros and cons. While electronic dartboards have many more advantages than disadvantages, it would be disingenuous to say that there are no negative aspects to electronic boards.
If you already have a different type of dartboard (bristle, cork, wood, etc.), when you get an electronic dartboard you will have to buy new darts to go with it. Electronic dartboards are the only ones that use soft tip darts, so this would be an additional expense to take into account.
They are also on average more expensive than bristle dartboards, due to their additional features. However, they also last longer on average, so the cost over the lifetime of the board might even out.
Lastly, electronic dartboards aren’t allowed in competitions. So, if you are an aspiring professional or amatuer dart player then you probably want to practice on a bristle board because that’s what you will have to use when competing.
Important Features to Consider
If you’re thinking of buying an electronic dartboard, then here are some other questions and features to consider. Not every electronic dartboard comes with the same design or built-in options. This will help you narrow down your search and choose the best board for you.
Size and Weight
The size of the playing field of the average electronic dartboard is about 15.5 inches, or 39 centimeters. This is smaller than the official bristle boards used in competition, which are about 18 inches, or 45 centimeters, in diameter.
For the most part, this difference is not too noticeable, and most electronic boards are big enough to play on. We would recommend not getting a board with a playing field of less 13.5 inches, or 34 centimeters, however, because at that point it can get too small to see or play on for most players. And get the 15.5 inch board if you can.
Different electronic dartboards can also vary by weight. Most are made primarily of plastic, but some can have wood, metal, or rubber added to them. This adds to the weight, so we recommend checking the weight of the board before buying.
If you are playing indoors at the same location every time, weight should not matter much, but if you want a more portable dartboard, or one to play with outside, then we would recommend buying a lighter one.
One of the main details that those with electronic dartboards have to deal with is how their dartboard is powered. It will be either one of two ways – with a power adapter that plugs into a wall socket, or with batteries. This is something to consider when purchasing a dartboard – if you have a perfect location to hang your board, but don’t have an outlet in the vicinity, it makes more sense to get a battery-powered dartboard.
Dartboards with battery power are also more easy to transport, because you have fewer components to worry about. However, dartboards with power cords do not need to be recharged or have the batteries changed, so if your electronic dartboard is going to stay in the same place, then we recommend getting one with a power cable.
Apps and Electronic Features
One of the biggest differences between electronic dartboards is the software features that they come with. Some boards come with built-in apps that you can then control with your phone or tablet via bluetooth. This can help keep track of your scores, as well as save previous games and scores.
Other electronic features that differ between boards include lighting and sound effects and display. Some boards might be more interactive than others, so make sure to check that out if it’s important to you. There are even voice prompts with some electronic dartboards, that can really increase the fun and make games more intense!
Games and Playing Modes
Electronic dartboards often come with many different playing modes, as well a variety of unique and different games to try. If you plan on having a lot of people play at once, make sure to check the amount of players the multiplayer game mode comes with, because it can vary from 2 to 8 to 16.
If you have children that get tired of playing the same game over and over, or if you want to try your hand at many types of dart games, then finding an electronic dartboard that has a variety of game options might be the way to go. Some have up to 50 different games and modes to try!
There are a number of great brands that manufacture electronic dartboards. We recommend choosing a popular and well-respected brand, because they tend to have the best reviews and stand by the quality of their product. These boards will be dependable and great quality, and they have better customer service and policies for warranties, exchanges, and returns.
The two overall best brands that produce electronic dartboards are Arachnid and Viper. These two companies have been around for a long time and are nowadays synonymous with quality products. Other well-respected brands for electronic dartboards include WIN.MAX, Fat Cat, and Gran.
Q. Can I Use Steel Tip Darts on an Electronic Dartboard?
No, you cannot use steel tip darts with an electronic dartboard. This would damage the board and you’d have to buy a new one within a few months. Plus, they don’t stick as well in the plastic board, so you get more bounce outs that could be dangerous to other players. This is why electronic dartboards almost always come with soft tip darts as part of the order.
Q. Are Electronic Dartboards Safe for Children?
Yes, electronic dartboards are safer for children than other kinds of dartboards. This is because they use soft tip darts rather than steel tip darts. The electronic components are also well concealed behind the plastic exterior of the board, so there’s no danger associated with them.
Q. Do I need an Internet Connection to use an Electronic Dartboard?
For the standard games, you should not need an internet connection to use an electronic dartboard. However, some boards come with online capabilities that will need an internet connection to take advantage of. You can also play against friends in different locations over the internet, and this can be accessed through phone internet access and a bluetooth connection.
Best Rated Electronic Dart board Reviews
#1. Arachnid Cricket Pro 800 Electronic Dartboard
- Tournament-quality electronic dartboard - regulation 15.5" target area
- 39 games with 179 variations (seven cricket games)
- NylonTough segments improve durability and playability
The Arachnid Cricket Pro 800 is our overall choice for the best electronic dartboard. It is made of high-quality and durable plastic, and it is perfect for every skill level. It has a micro thin section dividers, which give it a low bounce out rate, meaning your darts stick easier and won’t damage your playing area as much. This also improves the scoring accuracy of the board, making it one of the best around.
It also comes with 40 pre-installed games and playing modes, and 179 variations, which makes it more enjoyable and easy to learn for beginner players. You can also play with up to 8 players, and the dartboard adds voice prompts like heckling and a tournament style.
- Very thin section dividers for a low bounce out rate
- Durable and long-lasting
- The heckler mode adds a fun and festive atmosphere
- Lots of game and mode options
- One of the pricier options
- Not as many game modes as some competitors
#2. WIN.MAX Electronic Dartboard Set
- 🎁21 EXCITING GAMES WITH 65 VARIATIONS - Game list: 301, 401, 501, 601, 701, 801, 901, Cricket, No-score cricket, Scram, Killer, Football, Bowling, Double down, High score, Shanghai, Golf, Shove a...
- 🎁𝐖𝐈𝐃𝐄 𝐂𝐀𝐓𝐂𝐇 𝐑𝐈𝐍𝐆🎁 - Wide catch ring offers protection for your wall from errant throws.
- 🎁𝐋𝐎𝐖 𝐁𝐎𝐔𝐍𝐂𝐄 𝐎𝐔𝐓 𝐑𝐀𝐓𝐄🎁“It’s the only budget dartboard that doesn’t have a million complains about the darts flying out.” By abovehouse...
The WIN.MAX Electronic Dartboard Set is probably the best bang for your buck electronic dartboard out there. It does almost as much, and it costs significantly less, than most comparable dartboards. This board is great for those just beginning, who don’t know if they want to spend the money on a top-end model.
It vastly outshines all of the similarly-priced dartboards. It is sturdy and durable, and comes with a variety of game options – 21 to be exact. It also comes fully equipped with 12 soft tip darts and 100 dart tips, so you can start playing right away.
- Cost is lower than competitors for similar quality
- No electronic issues
- 21 built-in games
- Comes with a lot of darts
- Not as high quality as the more expensive boards
#3. Arachnid Cricket Pro 900 Electronic Dartboard
- IMPROVED PLAYABILITY AND DURABILITY - This electronic dartboard boasts the NylonTough segments, which offers durability that can withstand countless games, and shows an exceptional playability by...
- COOL GAME FEATURES - Enjoy 48 games (8 new), with one-touch quick select of 301/cricket. Perfect for 8 players with 4 player score display. The dart averaging for ft01 games helps you track and...
- ADVANCED VOICE PROMPT - Featuring a state of the art voice prompt that announces the dart score and an enhanced voice record feature that is available for your use. This dart board also has an...
More than any other board on this list, the Arachnid Cricket Pro 900 Electronic Dartboard will make you a better darts player. It has multiple built-in features that will help you examine and analyze your darts game. Features like its points-per-throw analysis make it possible to evaluate your skill level and ability, and make adjustments accordingly.
It also comes with a variety of voice prompts, both those that can help you improve your form and those that increase the fun and give the room a festive feel. Whether you’re playing solo or with up to 8 players, this board can handle all play. It has NylonTough technology, making it more durable and long-lasting.
It also comes with a huge variety of games you can play on an electronic dartboard, with 48 games and over 350 different modes. However, all this comes with a hefty price, making the only downside to this board the fact that it is the highest costing electronic dartboard on our list.
- High durability due to NylonTouch technology
- 48 games for unending variety, with 350 different modes
- Built-in features to help improve and analyze your darts game
- Very high cost
#4. Gran Board 3 Bluetooth Electronic Dartboard
- Use your own iPhone, iTablet, Android, or Smart TV for graphics and scoring
- New games will be added with free app upgrades
- Compatibility: Bluetooth: MUST have Bluetooth 4.0 to connect with GRAN BOARD. iOS
The Gran Board 3 Bluetooth Electronic Dartboard is an updated model of the Gran Board 2. It is the most expensive dartboard in this list, but don’t let that put you off! It is – by far – the most technologically advanced electronic dartboard currently on the market. It is fully compatible with iPhone, Android, tablets, and even Smart TVs, so the options from this board extend much farther than others.
Connect with any smart device via bluetooth or via the built-in USB port for updated graphics and scoring on your Gran Board 3. New games are uploaded constantly via the app, meaning you will never run out of new variations and modes to play. You can also play up to 8 people in offline play, as well as online multiplayer – play against friends and family all over the world!
Aside from the technological advantages, the Gran Board 3 is also made with acoustically absorbent material, dampening the sound of the darts as they land. It also registers darts that hit the outer ring of the board, meaning more of your throws count.
- Most technologically-advanced board
- Play with friends in person or online
- New games are constantly updated via the app
- Stunning LED light up display
- Very expensive
- Must have a bluetooth-connected device
#5. Arachnid Bullshooter Cricket Maxx 1.0 Electronic Dartboard Cabinet Set
- Electronic dartboard cabinet with 13.5" target area
- 34 Games with 183 variations (4 cricket games)
- Wooden cabinet doors with walnut finish for stylish storage
The Arachnid Bullshooter Cricket Maxx 1.0 Electronic Dartboard set is one of the best electronic dartboard sets on the market right now. The board itself comes housed in a very sleek and classy cabinet, one that is sure to spruce up any games room. The cabinet comes with an intuitive LED display, and a place to hold your spare darts when you’re not using them.
In terms of variety of game options, it is right on par with similar models. It has 34 games (with 4 cricket variations) and 183 variations on mode and game play.
However, the size of the board is smaller than others in this list. With a diameter of only 13.5 inches, it is two inches smaller than regulation electronic dartboards, meaning it may be more difficult to hit the target you want if you’re a beginner or intermediate player.
- Really cool and fancy cabinet
- High quality material and performance
- 34 games and 183 variations
- The size of the board is very small
#6. Viper Ion Electronic Dartboard
- Top Quality Segments - Regulation-sized 15.5” electronic dart board target area is incredibly durable with precision engineered concave segment holes that lock in your shots
- LED Enhanced Scoring - Built-in LED lights give you a unique gameplay experience, adding a new spin to classic games
- 48 Games for up to 8 Players - Includes popular games like 01, Cricket, and more unique variants; with over 300 scoring options and up to 8 player multiplayer
The most unique and innovative aspect of the Viper Ion Electronic Dartboard is that it has LED lights that shine through from behind the dartboard and illuminate certain sections at a time. This revolutionary design is the only one of its kind, and it gives you a better dart playing experience.
In regular game play, the lights can help you learn and remember where to throw at any given time, which is a great advantage for players that are just starting out. Additionally, the lights provide even more options for variations on gameplay. Because of this, the Viper Ion has the most games of any electronic dartboard in its price range, with 48 games, including 17 exclusive light-based games you won’t find anywhere else! Plus it has 315 variations on modes and games.
The Viper Ion is made with tough nylon that has been target tested for durability. This dartboard is family friendly because even the most rowdy of children won’t be able to damage it. In addition to its strength, the segment dividers are micro-thin, which leads to fewer bounce outs and better, more accurate scoring.
- LED-illuminated board segments to help you know where to throw
- Incredibly durable material
- Micro-thin segment dividers
- 48 games
- Sections are green and blue, so they might be difficult to tell apart
- Darts included in the purchase are below average, so you will likely need to buy others
#7. Viper Neptune Electronic Dartboard
- Top Quality Segments - Regulation-Sized 15.5” Electronic Dart Board Target Area Is Incredibly Durable And Designed To Handle Whatever You Throw At It
- Built-In Cabinet And Storage - This Soft Tip Dartboard Is Built Directly Into The Cabinet; Sleek Cabinet Doors With Built In Storage Keep Your Setup Organized And Looking Good
- 57 Games For Up To 16 Players - Includes Popular Games Like 01, Cricket, And More; With Over 300 Scoring Options And Up To 16 Player Multiplayer
With the most classic, sleek design of any electronic dartboard, the Viper Neptune Electronic Dartboard instantly makes any games room look cooler. It comes in a traditional wooden cabinet, designed to appear traditional but boasting state-of-the-art modern technology. It comes with the most games available of any electronic dartboard – a whopping 57 games, with a total of over 300 variations and modes.
Due to it being built with commercial grade nylon, it is durable and able to withstand anything you throw at it. With ultra-thin segment dividers, bounce outs are greatly reduced and the scoring is super accurate, which you can see clearly on the high-res LCD display. You can also play with up to 16 players at once, which is double the average multiplayer limit, as well as play against the computer if you want to play solo.
Surrounding the face of the board is a large dart catching ring, meaning you will have fewer errant throws to worry about and less damaged walls and floors.
- Classic design that looks great simply hanging in the room
- Most game options of any electronic dartboard, with 57 games
- Play with up to 16 players at once, or play against the computer
- High price tag
- Only 6 darts available with purchase
#8. Fat Cat Electronx Electronic Dartboard
- Top Quality Segments - Compact 13.5” electronic dart board target area is durable with precision engineered concave segment holes that lock in your shots
- Enhanced Scoring Experience - Ultra-thin spider and extended catch ring make scoring easy and the Viper Electronx dart board easily tracks all of your throws
- 34 Games for up to 8 Players - Includes popular games like 01, Cricket, and more; with over 180 scoring options and up to 8 player multiplayer, everyone can join in on the fun
The Fat Cat Electronx Electronic Dartboard comes built into a cabinet, which makes for both easy transport and storage. You can also store up to four sets of darts (it comes with 6 darts free) inside the cabinet. Additionally, the sleek, LCD display is very large and bright, making it easy to read and understand. You can read your score and other information without having to walk right up to the board during game play.
The board itself is made of sturdy, thoroughly-tested material. It boasts concave segment holes, and the section dividers are razor thin – these both reduce bounce outs and keep your darts stuck in the board.
You can play solo against the computer with five different skill levels, or with up to 8 players at once. There are 34 games and 167 variations, making each time a unique playing experience. The only downside is the board is only 13.5 inches instead of a regulation 15.5 inches. However, a large dart catchment area around the board face keeps any errant throws from bouncing out and injuring anyone.
- Concave segment holes and razor thin section dividers
- Large and bright LCD display to allow for easier score reading
- 34 games and 167 unique variations
- Easy transport and storage with a built-in cabinet
- Small board size
#9. WIN.MAX Electronic Soft Tip Dartboard Set With Cabinet
- 🎁27 games with 195 scoring options and accommodates up-to 8 players for endless entertainment and countless possibilities. Cyber play with 5 skill levels
- 🎁Concave segment holes and ultra thin wire help prevent bounce outs. A large catch ring surrounds the target face creating a 360 degree landing zone for any missed shots, protecting your walls from...
- 🎁Easy to read control panel and bright LED front display delivers a crisp, clear view of scoring and statistics, eliminating manual scorekeeping. Adjustable sound volume from 0-7
The WIN.MAX Electronic Soft Tip Dartboard Set with Cabinet is, as its name implies, the WIN.MAX Dartboard Set mentioned above built into a dartboard cabinet. That’s not the only change, however. It comes with 27 games – 6 more than the original Dartboard Set – and 195 scoring options.
There are a lot of features that help you with your game. Concave holes on the board face and thin section dividers help the darts you throw stick into the dartboard and stay there, and the large catchment ring around the playing area means that you don’t have to worry about damaging the wall with errant throws.
More than any other dartboard set, the WIN.MAX Set with Cabinet comes with 12 darts included, as well as room to store all of them in the cabinet. These are plenty of darts for the 8 person multiplayer option, although you can also play solo against the computer at multiple skill levels.
- Sturdy built-in cabinet with 12 darts and storage included
- Concave holes and thin dividers for better dart catching
- 8 multiplayer option and solo mode against 5 computer levels
- Fewer game options than other competitors
#10. Viper 787 Electronic Dartboard
- Designed with a regulation sized 15.5" target face; Tournament quality thermal resin segments provide an exceptionally durable playing surface
- Ultra-thin spider greatly reduces bounce outs, allowing for closer dart groupings to maximize scoring; Built-in storage holds 2 sets of darts and extra dart points
- Features 43 games with 241 options and accommodates up-to 16 players; A large missed dart catch ring offers protection for your wall from errant throws
The Viper 787 Electronic Dartboard is one of the least expensive options for a top tier electronic dartboard. The lower costs don’t stop it from having quality materials. It is built from thermal resin that is tournament quality; this helps with durability and maintains quality over the life of the dartboard.
Additionally, it has plenty of game modes and playing options. It comes with 43 games and 241 variations, which we find very hard to beat for the price. It also has game modes that allow for up to 16 players, twice as many as most other electronic dartboards.
It doesn’t have as many light or sound options as the very top end boards listed above, but the price to quality ratio is very high, and as a beginning board or training dartboard for children, this one is tough to beat.
- Durable thermal resin, ensuring long life
- 43 game options and 241 variations
- Small LCD display screen
- No voice prompts or fun sounds
Conclusion: Which One Should You Buy?
Hopefully this article has helped you learn more about electronic dartboards, as well as make a decision about which one is best for you.
Do you want a sleek, classic looking board that offers top of the line technology and a wide variety of game options? Do you want a beginner’s board that is durable but not too expensive? Or perhaps you want a dartboard that can sync up with your phone or can play with friends over the internet?
We hope, whatever your preference, that you could find a dartboard that perfectly suits you. However, if you’re still on the fence about what to buy, our two favorites are the Arachnid Cricket Pro series, the 800 and 900.
The Cricket Pro 800 is more affordable, and the most popular electronic model online. The two boards also have very similar specs and performance, but the Cricket Pro 900 is the state-of-the-art model that has taken any slight issues the 800 might have had and improved upon them. It is the most expensive option, but that is for good reason, and it has better reviews than any other dartboard currently on the market.
If you have any questions or comments about electronic dartboard that you feel we haven’t covered, please feel free to get in touch with us via our Contact Page. We would be glad to help in any way we can!
- Tournament-quality electronic dartboard - regulation 15.5" target area
- 39 games with 179 variations (seven cricket games)
- NylonTough segments improve durability and playability